I took Monday off so that I could finish getting the panels in. They went together remarkably easily and now I am in the process of caulking the joints to make them water/airtight. It’s a LOVELY little thing.
The greenhouse I had before this was a small tube-framed structure covered by what was essentially a plastic bag. It wasn’t frost proof – and heating it would have been futile and expensive – but it did have some really nice integrated shelves. The plastic bag disintegrated last year but the shelves fit perfectly into my new greenhouse.
This photo shows my progression of greenhouses; the rack that has the equipment on it was part of a single set of shelves that I got from my first ‘greenhouse’. Again, the plastic got brittle but the rack still works. To the right of those are the shelves I got from my last greenhouse – and they’re all working again in my new greenhouse (which I hope lasts longer than either of those did!)
The temperature has ranged from a low of 44 this morning to a high of 98 degrees when the sun was shining. I’ve installed a self-venting kit for one of the skylights so it shouldn’t get too hot inside, but until I’ve let it run for a few days, I’m not putting plants in there.
Next time you see this place, it will be packed with plants – stay tuned!
And Now for Something Completely Different...